Prostitution / Solicitation Crimes in Florida
Call Our Daytona Criminal Defense Lawyers: (386) 693-1637
According to Chapter 796 of the Florida criminal statutes, prostitution is a criminal offense punishable by jail, prison, fines, and probation, among other penalties. Both engaging in and soliciting prostitution are criminalized in the state of Florida.
If you were accused of prostitution, solicitation, or a related offense, we urge you to call our Daytona Beach criminal defense attorneys right away.
When you entrust your case to our team, you can benefit from:
- A team backed by more than 40 years of legal experience
- A legal team made up of former state prosecutors
- A team that provides complimentary initial consultations
Call Hager & Schwartz, P.A. and discuss your case with our criminal defense team right away. We have experience from the other side of the courtroom and can provide you with aggressive and relentless legal representation.
Definition of Prostitution in Florida
Florida statute 796.07, “Prohibiting Prostitution and Related Acts,” prohibits receiving or giving of sexual activities for hire.
This excludes sexual activity between spouses. Under this statute, it is unlawful to:
- Establish, operate, maintain, or own any structure or building used for the purpose of assignation, prostitution, or lewdness
- Agree to secure or offer the act of prostitution for any other indecent or lewd act
- Offer, agree to receive, or receive a person into a structure, place, or building for the purpose of assignation, lewdness, or prostitution
- Take, transport, or direct a person to a structure, place, or building with knowledge that the purpose of the transporting, taking, or directing is lewdness, assignation, or prostitution
- Entice, induce, procure, and solicit another individual to commit lewdness, assignation, or prostitution
- Purchase the services of any individual engaged in prostitution
- Offer to commit, engage in, or commit in lewdness, assignation, or prostitution
- Remain in, enter, or reside in any place for the purpose of lewdness, assignation, or prostitution
- Abet, participate, or aid in any acts mentioned above
Sentences and Punishments for Prostitution and Solicitation
Penalties for prostitution and solicitation vary depending on numerous factors, such as prior convictions. A person convicted of a prostitution or solicitation charge can be sentenced as follows:
A second-degree misdemeanor for a first violation:
- A county jail sentence up to 60 days
- Probation jurisdiction of 6 months to complete AIDS awareness training and STD screenings
A first-degree misdemeanor for a second violation:
- A county jail sentence for one year
- Probation jurisdiction of 12 months to complete AIDS awareness training and STD screenings
- Exclusion Zone, which prohibits the person from entering a specific geographic area while on probation. In most cases, the exclusion zone is the area where the offense occurred or one that is known as a common place for prostitution.
A third-degree felony for a third or subsequent violation:
- A prison sentence up to five years
- Fines up to $5,000.00 in addition to court expenses
- A probationary period up to five years
Other Prostitution-Related Offenses
Other acts related to prostitution can cause a person to face criminal penalties including offenses by adults who involve minors in any acts prohibited by Chapter 796. Others include:
- 796.04: Coercing Forcing or compelling another individual to become a prostitute
- 796.05: Deriving support from proceeds of prostitution
- 796.06: Renting an area used for assignation, prostitution, or lewdness
- 796.08: Testing positive for a sexually transmissible disease and fails to inform a person whom he or she has engage in sexual activity
- 796.09: Coercion
Accused of Solicitation or Prostitution?
Call Hager & Schwartz, P.A.
At Hager & Schwartz, P.A., our Daytona Beach criminal defense attorneys are backed by ample experience and skill handling various criminal cases. For this reason, we are equipped with the knowledge it takes to successfully defend your rights and future. When you get in touch with our team, we will provide you with a cost-free consultation and listen to the details of your case. From there, we can determine which legal strategies can be used to pursue positive results for you.
Call our legal team for relentless advocacy today!
Put the experience of Hager & Schwartz, P.A. on your side.