Theft Crime Lawyer Daytona Beach, FL
Defense for Theft Charges in Volusia County, FL
Theft crimes are severe offenses. At Hager & Schwartz, P.A., we understand the fear and anxiety a defendant feels when faced with the criminal justice system. Serious ramifications can result from a conviction because your freedom is on the line. We want to protect your freedom. Having a theft conviction on your record can mean harsh, long-term consequences. It can prevent you from getting a job in many industries and can even prevent you from obtaining professional licensure.
At Hager & Schwartz, P.A., our experienced Daytona Beach theft crimes attorneys have successfully defended clients charged with various theft crimes in Volusia County and Daytona Beach. While previous victories do not guarantee future results, we will develop a criminal defense strategy, uncompromising in nature, to protect your constitutional rights, including search and seizure issues, Miranda issues, and evidentiary matters. Our team will be professional and respectful as we aggressively work toward your goals, seeking an ideal outcome.
Types of Theft Cases We Handle in Volusia County, FL
Our Daytona Beach theft crimes attorneys at Hager & Schwartz, P.A. defend individuals charged with theft offenses throughout Volusia County, including Deltona and Daytona Beach.
Cases our Daytona Beach theft crimes lawyers take on include:
- Insurance fraud: This offense occurs when a person knowingly presents or makes a false statement or conceals information to defraud or deceive an insurer.
- Grand theft: This offense is committed when a person unlawfully takes property valued at $750 or more. If the item was taken from a dwelling, the value of the property would only have to be valued at $100 for the crime to be grand theft.
- Credit card fraud: This offense involves using a credit card without consent or with the knowledge that it is forged to obtain goods, services, or anything of value.
- Mortgage fraud: This offense occurs when a person knowingly makes a misrepresentation or omission during any part of the lending process.
- Shoplifting: This offense involves unlawfully taking merchandise from a retailer. Depending on the value of the item stolen, the crime can be pursued under Florida's grand theft or petty theft laws.
- Petty theft: This offense is committed when a person unlawfully takes property valued at less than $750.
- Grand theft auto: This offense involves the unlawful taking of a motor vehicle. It is pursued under Florida's third-degree grand theft law.
- Burglary: This offense occurs when a person unlawfully enters a dwelling or structure and intends to commit a crime, such as theft, while there.
- Robbery: This offense involves the use of force or violence to take another person's property.
Some theft offenses fall under the category of white collar crimes. Generally, white collar crimes are committed in a corporate setting. They typically involve such schemes as insurance fraud, embezzlement, credit card theft, or identity theft.
Penalties for Theft in Florida
Florida theft crimes range from felonies to misdemeanors. The level of charge depends on the defendant's criminal history, type of conduct, and in some cases, the value of the item stolen.
Some of the potential conviction penalties for theft include:
First-degree petit theft:
- Up to 1 year incarceration and/or
- Up to $1,000 in fines
Burglary of an unoccupied structure or conveyance (when the offense doesn't
involve assault or a deadly weapon):
- Up to 5 years in prison and/or
- Up to $5,000 in fines
Robbery (committed without a firearm or deadly weapon):
- Up to 15 years in prison and/or
- Up to $10,000 in fines
First-degree grand theft:
- Up to 30 years of imprisonment and/or
- Up to $10,000 in fines
Delivering the Defense You Need to Fight Your Theft Charge
Our Daytona Beach theft crimes attorneys are prepared to stand up for you throughout your case. We have decades of combined experience, including time served as former prosecutors. At Hager & Schwartz, P.A., we will use our unique insights to build an aggressive defense for your case.
I thoroughly recommend Brett Schwartz as a defense attorney.
“I thoroughly recommend Brett Schwartz as a defense attorney. He worked tirelessly and relentlessly to get my case dropped even before it went to trial. He succeeded, although the odds were heavily stacked against us.”
Should you ever need a defense attorney, he is the person to contact.
“I was referred to Brett Schwartz by a friend facing very serious charges. He was very understanding and also very honest, walked us through the process of what could happen from beginning to end best case scenario and of course worst case scenario.”
If you need help go see Brett!
“We worked with Brett on a domestic violence charge. He was the third lawyer we went to and we FINALLY got the result we desired. His knowledge of the law, the system and straightforwardness are beyond impressive.”