Flagler Criminal Defense Lawyers
Providing Legal Guidance for Those Facing Criminal Charges
If you have been accused of a crime in Flagler, you do not have to go through the confusing, intimidating, and overwhelming criminal justice process alone. You have the right to be represented by counsel. Exercising this right early on can facilitate building an aggressive defense aimed at countering the prosecution's allegations against you. By fighting your charge with the help of an experienced attorney, you can seek a favorable outcome in your case, safeguarding your future and freedom.
At Hager & Schwartz, P.A., our Flagler criminal defense attorneys can deliver the personalized legal representation you need. We have over 40 years of combined experience. Additionally, both of our lawyers are former prosecutors. Thus, we have insider knowledge about the techniques and methods used by law enforcement officials and the Government to develop cases against the accused. We leverage this knowledge to benefit our clients, crafting well-informed defenses. And while we are skilled at developing legal strategies for various criminal matters, we also know that each situation is unique. That is why our team will get to know you and create a defense tailored just for you. Whether you have been accused of a DUI, domestic violence, drug crime, theft crime, or other offense, our lawyers will zealously advocate for you throughout your case.
Flagler Criminal Lawyers Handling Various Cases
In Florida, crimes are generally classified as misdemeanors or felonies. Misdemeanors are separated into two degrees: first and second. Felonies are categorized as third-degree, second-degree, first-degree, life, and capital.
Whether charged with a misdemeanor or felony in Flagler, the consequences of a conviction are substantial. Each level comes with the possibility of incarceration and/or a fine.
- Second-degree misdemeanors carry up to 60 days in jail and/or up to $500 in fines,
- First-degree misdemeanors carry up to 1 year in jail and/or up to $1,000 in fines,
- Third-degree felonies carry up to 5 years in prison and/or up to $5,000 in fines,
- Second-degree felonies carry up to 15 years in prison and/or up to $10,000 in fines,
- First-degree felonies carry up to 30 years in prison and/or up to $10,000 in fines,
- Life felonies carry up to life imprisonment, and
- Capital felonies are punishable by death.
Additionally, some crimes carry additional sanctions, such as sex offender registration or the loss of driving privileges.
Because your future and ability to provide for yourself and your family are on the line, retain legal services right away. Getting started on your defense as soon as possible gives your Flagler criminal attorney the time necessary to investigate and analyze the facts and research relevant laws.
It is also important to ensure that the person you hire to defend you has experience handling cases similar to yours. Being helped by an attorney unfamiliar with the criminal justice system can add more stress and lead to avoidable missteps.
At Hager & Schwartz, P.A., we provide representation for all types of crimes, including, but not limited to:
- Assault/battery (Florida Statutes §§ 784.011and 784.03): Assault involves threatening violence upon another person, whereas battery is actually contacting or striking another individual.
- Burglary (Florida Statutes § 810.02): Burglary occurs when a person enters a home or building with the intent to commit a crime while there.
- Domestic violence (Florida Statutes § 741.28): A person commits domestic violence when they engage in conduct that does or could result in injury or death of their family or household member. Common domestic violence crimes include assault (Florida Statutes § 784.011), battery (Florida Statutes § 784.03), sexual battery (Florida Statutes § 794.011), and stalking (Florida Statutes § 784.048).
- Drug crimes (Florida Statutes § 893.13): These offenses involve manufacturing, delivering, selling, or possessing controlled substances.
- Manslaughter (Florida Statutes § 782.07): This offense occurs when a person takes the life of another individual through certain actions or negligence.
- Murder (Florida Statutes § 782.04): A person may be charged with murder if they are alleged to have caused the death of another individual through premeditation, while committing or attempting to commit a felony, or distributing a specified controlled substance to the other individual.
- Prostitution / Solicitation (Florida Statutes § 796.07): Prostitution charges are levied when a person engages in sexual activity in exchange for compensation.
- Robbery (Florida Statutes § 812.13): Robbery occurs when a person uses violence or threats to unlawfully take another individual's property.
- Sex crimes: Sex crimes include, but are not limited to, sexual battery (Florida Statutes § 794.011), lewd or lascivious offenses committed upon a minor (Florida Statutes § 800.04), and possession or promotion of child pornography (Florida Statutes § 775.0847).
- Theft crimes (Florida Statutes § 812.014): This offense involves unlawfully taking another person’s property with the intent to deprive them of it.
Flagler Criminal Defense Lawyers Fighting DUI Charges
In addition to defending against serious criminal allegations, our lawyers also handle driving under the influence cases. These are very nuanced matters involving several unique factors, such as the legality of the initial stop and the validity of chemical test results.
If a person is found guilty of a DUI under Florida Statutes § 316.193, they could be subject to a jail term of up to 6 months, a fine between $500 and $1,000, and driver’s license suspension for up to 1 year. The penalties increase upon a second or subsequent violation or if the offense involved aggravating factors, such as causing an accident resulting in serious bodily injury to or death of another person.
Our criminal defense attorneys in Flagler will examine your case from every angle. We’ll review the facts to see whether the officer had reasonable suspicion to stop you or probable cause to arrest you. Our team will also go through relevant reports and records and consult with experts if necessary to identify weaknesses in the prosecution’s arguments.
Schedule Your Free Initial Consultation Today
At Hager & Schwartz, P.A., we genuinely care about every person we help. Our team looks at more than just the charges our clients are facing. We see a unique individual coming to us at a frightening and critical point in their lives. This perspective drives us to do what we legally can to assist throughout the case.
I thoroughly recommend Brett Schwartz as a defense attorney.- Michael
Should you ever need a defense attorney, he is the person to contact.- Lisbeth
If you need help go see Brett!- Sally
Case Dismissed No Motorcycle Endorsement
DUI Reduced to Reckless Driving Driving Under the Influence
Case Not Filed Aggravated Assault on Pregnant Woman
Charges Reduced and No Conviction Possession of Controlled Substance
Charges Reduced Driving Under the Influence
Case Dismissed Fraudulent Use of a Credit Card and Grand Theft
Case Dismissed Allowing an Authorized Person to Drive
Charges Reduced DUI
Charges Reduced DUI
Charges Reduced DUI